![]() |
| Photo by Asyah Saif |
Sit still, just the way you are, the way you always do.
Sit still and smile, pretending there are no monsters
rummaging through your chest of memories, of what has been, what never will.
Don’t move, because we know that if you do, you will break
into a million pieces reaching for the past.
Don’t break. Stay still.
Sit still, but breathe, and in your breath, I will hear the
symphony of a thousand cries tearing through the walls of pride. I, too, will
want to join them, have my say. I, too, will want to break you… but I will hold
my breath, I’ll wait.
Sit still and watch as I peal away the layers of your
disguise, the heavy armor of strength and valor. Let us discover your bruises,
find those wounds. I will not heal them; the sword that cut you through was
mine. But you must see them, and so do I.
Stay still… but convince me—I beg you!—that you are in
motion. Convince me, not by showing me the smiles of others, not even yours. I
don’t want to see the map with routes that you have taken, paths discovered,
roads yet to be travelled.
Those forsaken and forgotten—show me those.
Why erase them? I can see your pencil marks, feeble dents on
fragile skin. Take a pen, choose the brightest colours—mine are gold and
sliver—and put them in. Put them in, in words and lines and shapes and shades
of colours. Put them in, and show me that you are in motion.
Convince me, that you have moved on.

It is very beautiful.
ReplyDelete